Savory New York Strip Steak
This recipe pairs well with some sautéed greens, such as artichoke hearts or asparagus. You can find all these ingredients at Wohlner's at Midtown Crossing. Currently, our New York Strip Steak (12 oz.) is $8.99/lb* and would serve as an excellent complement to your holiday party this season.
Dinner for 2
Prep time: 40 min
Cook time: 15 min
2 1-1 1/2” thick cuts of New York Strip Steak from Wohlner’s, fat trimmed
1 Tbl Worcestershire
1-2 Tsp Wohlner’s Seasoning (found at Wohlner’s meat counter)
2 Tbl Butter
3 sprigs of fresh Thyme
1 Tbl Olive Oil
- Pat the steaks dry.
- Add 1 1/2tsp Worcestershire to one side of the steaks.
- Add half of the seasoning to the same side and press down.
- Flip the steaks, add the remaining Worcestershire and seasoning.
- Allow steaks to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place a cast iron pan or stainless (oven-safe) pan, over medium-high heat. (DO NOT USE NON STICK PAN)
- Drizzle the olive oil onto both sides of the steaks, making sure they’re coated.
- Once the pan is super hot, add the steaks. DO NOT FLIP yet.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes or until a good crust forms.
- Flip the steaks over and immediately shut off the heat.
- Working fast, add the sprigs of thyme and pats of butter on top.
- Put the pan with the steaks into the oven.
- Cook steaks in the oven. See below for desired cook times.
Very Rare: 4-5 minutes
Rare: 5-6 minutes
Medium Rare: 6-8 minutes
Medium: 7-10 minutes
Well done: Not Recommended
* Recipe modified from “Better than restaurant quality New York Strip Steaks” found on The Kitchen Whisperer. Price is subject to change.