Shredded Pork Beer Sandwich
This recipe pairs well with a lager beer and Wohlner's pasta salad, made fresh daily in several varieties and available in the deli. You can find all these ingredients at Wohlner's at Midtown Crossing. Currently, our Pork Shoulder, bone-in is on special for $1.99/lb* and would make for a warm, savory dinner this week.
Dinner for 6
Prep time: 40 min
Cook time: 3 1/2 - 4 hours
4 to 5 lb. Wohlner's pork shoulder, bone-in
Wohlner’s World Famous Seasoning
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium yellow onions, peeled and cut into wedges
3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
4 cloves of garlic, peeled
2 red peppers, diced
1 beer (12 oz.)
1 bottle of barbecue sauce
8 hamburger buns
* Recipe modified from “Shredded Pork Shoulder” found at http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-and-shred-a-pork-s-79485. All prices are subject to change.
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Trim any thick layers of fat from the pork shoulder.
- Rub Wohlner’s World Famous Seasoning all over the pork including crevices and on the sides. Allow the pork to sit for about 30 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown the pork on all sides, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the pork from the pot.
- Add the onions, carrots, garlic, red peppers and beer. Bring to a simmer, scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to bring up any browned pieces.
- Return pork to the pot. Cover and put in the oven for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until the meat is extremely tender and pulls away from the bone easily. Shred the pork in the pot, using tongs to separate the meat from the fat. Discard the bone.
- Add shredded pork to hamburger bun, top with barbecue sauce to taste and enjoy!