Mike’s Chicken, Bacon, & Zucchini Poppers
- 1 lb. ground chicken breast just $4.29 per lb this week at Wohlner’s
- 2c grated zucchini (leave peel on)
- 2-3 green onions, sliced
- 3-4 Tbsp cilantro, minced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- (optional: ¾ tsp cumin)
- olive oil, for cooking
- 6 strips cooked bacon
1. Toss chicken with bacon, zucchini, green onion, cilantro, garlic, salt, and pepper (and cumin, if using). Mixture will be quite wet.
2. To cook on the stove top:
Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Use a small scoop or a heaped tablespoon to scoop meatballs into the pan. Cook 8-10 at a time for about 5-6 minutes on the first side. Flip and cook an additional 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown and the centers are cooked through
Drizzle a bit of olive or avocado oil onto a baking sheet. Scoop meatballs onto the greased pan. Drizzle a bit of additional oil over the meatballs. Bake at 400 degrees 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through. If desired, place under the broiler for an additional 2-3 minutes or until browned on top.
Serve with your favorite dip from Wohlner’s local collection.
Makes 6 servings.