Love cranberries? Enjoy them and other seasonal items now.
Fresh Homemade Cranberry Sauce with Baked Chicken Breast
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
It’s as simple as this!
· 12 oz bag Ocean Spray Fresh Cranberries
· 3/4 cup Simply Orange Juice
· 2/3 cup brown sugar
· 1/3 cup white sugar
· Optional: 2 oz gold rum
1. Place all the ingredients in a sauce pan and cook on medium-high for 15-20 minutes or until most of the liquid has reduced – stirring occasionally. You’ll hear the cranberries popping – don’t worry, that’s what you want them to do. Remove from heat and serve. Cranberry sauce can be made days ahead and brought to room temperature or slightly heated before serving.
Carla’s Cranberry Salsa---Serioulsy Cranberry Salsa
Here is a salsa that is unique, delicious, colorful and sure to be a hit. Serve to your guests, to take to any party or football game. Serve with Xochtil Tortilla Chips or Tostito Scoops
1 cup Ocean Spray Fresh Cranberries
5 red cherry tomatoes or 1 On-the Vine Tomato, quartered
¼ c. sugar
2 Tbls. chopped red onion
1 jalapeño pepper—quartered (but use a glove or wash your hands after chopping!)
1 Tbls. fresh lime juice
1/ tsp. cumin
2 Tbls. fresh cilantro
Put all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until well chopped into the consistency of salsa, but not completely pureed.
Serve with chips and wait for the compliments.
Or try this Apple Cranberry Salsa Recipe which uses fresh cranberries, granny smith apples, and Simply Fresh Orange Juice
Apple Cranberry Crisp
Here is a great recipe for a dessert using some of this week’s sale items: Granny Smith Apples, Ocean Spray Fresh Cranberries, and Simply Orange Juice. Click HERE for RECIPE
Swiss Steak Skillet Supper
With the weather getting cooler here is a skillet supper that is sure to warm and satisfy
Serves 4 to 6
Total time to cook,1.5 to 2 hours. Active time, about 30 minutes
3 Tablespoons of Canola Oil
¼ cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 pounds to 2.5 pounds of cube steaks
1 yellow onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
2 cans of Del Monte Diced Tomatoes (or one can Diced Tomatoes and 1 can Stewed Tomatoes diced)
1 cup baby carrots-roughly sliced
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon ground majoram or ground sage
1 bay leaf
3 or 4 Yukon Gold Potatoes, washed and diced to bite size pieces
10 ounces green beans (fresh, defrosted frozen, or drained canned)
1) Heat 2 Tbls. of canola oil to medium in a large skillet.
2) Season flour with salt and pepper. Thoroughly dredge cube steaks in the flour, don’t shake off much of the flour. Sauté the cube steaks just until brown on each side.
3) Remove steaks and set aside. Add 1 Tbls. oil, chopped onions and garlic and cook for 3 more minutes.
4) Add tomatoes, carrots and herbs. With a wooden spoon or a spatula scrape brown bits off the pan and mix ingredients. Return steaks to the skillet, lower the heat to low, and simmer for 1 to 1.5 hours more.
5) During the final 30 minutes add 3 or 4 diced Yukon Gold Potatoes.
6) During the last 10 minutes add green beans.
Remove bay leaf and serve with tossed salad of Lettuce and On-the Vine Tomatoes dressed with Dorothy Lynch Poppy Seed Dressing, and crusty Wohlner’s Bread.
Wine: Ravenswood Zinfandel or Bonterra Zinfandel.