Wohlner’s Idaho Trout Fillets Stuffed with Spinach, Raisins, Nuts and Dill
Here is a fast and easy enough for a weeknight, yet elegant enough for a weekend dinner party. The combination of spinach, raisins and almonds or pinenuts are classic in Spanish and Italian cooking. Almonds would be more traditionally Spanish and pinenuts more Italian.
- 4 Idaho Trout Fillets, 6 to 8 ounces each
- Kosher salt or coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (slivered almonds would be good, too)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, washed
- 1/4 cup golden raisins, chopped (dark raisins are OK)
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped dill (fresh preferred, or 3 teaspoons dried)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
- Season each fillet inside and out with salt and pepper.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add pine nuts and garlic, and sauté until golden and fragrant, about 1 minute. Add spinach and let wilt, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the raisins and dill, and cook 1 minute more. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide spinach mixture into quarters and spread stuffing on each fillet. Fold fillet closed and secure fish with metal skewer, tooth picks or tie with kitchen string.
- Return pan to medium heat and warm oil until sizzling. Cook fish until skin is golden and fish opaque, about 5 minutes for first side and 3 minutes for second side. Remove skewer or string before serving.
- Albarino, (Spanish, Pinot Gris, Vermentino or Tokai Friulano (Italians)
- Sauvignon Blanc
Mac and Cheese is not only a great cold weather comfort food, it’s a fantastic side dish for a steak dinner party. Add some cooked diced Wohlner’s Italian Sausage to Mac and Cheese and you may have the ultimate comfort food main dish. Add some Hunt’s diced tomatoes to a Mac and Cheese recipe and you add a new dimension to comfort food. With Lent coming you can have a delicious meatless meal with mac and cheese.
- Homemade Mac and Cheese (Crystal Cheddar Cheese)
- Mac and Cheese with diced Wohlner’s Italian Sausage
- Mac and Blue Cheese (Roquefort and Crystal Cheddar)
- Sarah’s Decadent Mac and Blue Cheese ( sarahmeyerwalsh.wordpress.com )
- Mac and Cheese with Tomatoes
Kicking up Chicken Breast
Chicken Breast is a staple of my diet and I’m always looking for flavor combinations, especially with ingredients on sale at Wohlner’s such as Roquefort Cheese, Baby Bella (Crimini) Mushrooms, Boarshead Mozzarella, and Pepperoni Slices etc.. Just use a knife to make a slit into the side of a chicken breast then enlarge the slit into a pocket to be stuffed
- Chicken Breast stuffed with Roquefort Cheese and Bacon
- Chicken Breast stuffed with Roquefort Blue Cheese and diced celery and basted with Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce
- Chicken Breast stuffed with Goat Cheese and Crimini Mushrooms
- Chicken Breast stuffed with sliced Boarshead Mozzarella and Pepperoni
- Cornmeal-Crusted Chicken Breast stuffed with Goat Cheese and Wohlner’s Italian Sausage
Baked Ziti or Penne Pasta with Wohlner’s Italian Sausage, Tomatoes, Baby Bella Mushrooms, Mozzarella, etc.
Baked Ziti/Penne Casserole is another comfort food main dish which everyone loves. Wohlner’s Italian Sausage will season the entire casserole with wonderful flavors and spices. Plus it’s easy to make a second casserole and freeze it.
Sirloin Tip Roast with Roquefort Sauce
One of my favorite dishes at one of my favorite restaurants is Pork Tenderloin Loin with Roquefort Sauce. I’ve always though the sauce would be wonderful with a beef roast such as sirloin tip or eye of round.
Zatarain’s New Orleans’s Style Rice Mixes just in time for Mardi Gras
Mardi Gras is on Tuesday, so grab some Zatarain’s for an easy and quick New Orleans style dinner. Combine some Wohlner’s Own Andouille Sausage with Zatarain’s Red Beans and Rice, or to Zatarian’s Jambalaya Mix. Combine Wohlner’s Chickens Legs with Zatarain’s Black Beans and Rice. For lent try a classic meatless New Orleans dinner of Red Beans and Rice.