Ideas of items to take to Jazz on the Green, to Saturday night’s concert at Aksarben Village, to a pool party, patio party, picnic, etc. Most of our suggestions are on sale this week at Wohlner’s.
- Boursin Cheese - very spreadable on crackers , veggies and baguette slices
- Life in Provence Goat Cheese on crackers and baguette (wine: Sav. Blanc!)
- Oasis Hummus on pita chips
- Oasis Bruschetta on baguette slices
- Wohlner’s Moma hoot’s Salsa with Tostitos Tortilla Scoops
- Herbed Cottage Cheese Spread on crackers or celery: RECIPE BELOW
- Vegetable Crudite - 3 color peppers, cucumber slices, radishes, green onion
- Fresh Bing Cherries and Rainier Cherries
- Plum Ginger Dessert Bars - recipe here.
- Chilled Sauvignon Blanc and other wines form our cooler
- Wohlner’s Baguette - ask the deli staff to slice it for you
- Jovino Pinot Noir and Jovino Chardonnay in screwtops
- Empyrean Beers - Dark Side and Third Stone
Herbed Chive Cottage Cheese Spread
This is an updated version of a bistro appetizer that was served complimentary at every table with (Ritz) Crackers. I prefer this with thin slices of Wohlner’s Baguette, each slice rubbed with a garlic clove, lightly brushed with olive oil, then toasted on the grill or under the broiler, i.e., crostini made with sliced Wohlner’s Baguette.
- 2 cups Robert's small-curd, cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup Robert’s sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon finely minced shallots
- 1 Tablespoon finely minced fresh chives (green onions will work in a pinch)
- 1 Tablespoon finely minced parsley, plus more for garnish
- Combine the cottage cheese and sour cream in a medium bowl and blend well.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly and adjust seasonings.
- Cover and chill well before serving.
- Serve with toasted garlic bread or crackers and garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
Other menu ideas
Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Grilled Peaches and Grilled Green Onions
That’s the basis for a lean and healthy summer meal on the grill. Add some grilled broccoli, a side salad with fresh fruit in it and not only will your old swimsuit fit, you’ll look damn sexy it.
Did you know that pork tenderloin is leaner than chicken breast—boneless skinless chicken breast. Great flavor if you don’t overcook the pork tenderloin. The new government standard is to cook lean pork to an internal temperature of 145f and let it rest for 3 minutes before eating.
Canadian Bacon BLT’s—our leaner verion of BLT’s
(Wohlner’s Canadian Bacon, Tomatoes on the Vine, mayo of Miracle Whip, Rotella’s sliced Twist Bread).
Here’s our low fat version of a summer favorite, BLT’s. Canadian Bacon is very lean and low fat because we make it at the store from our lean and low fat center cut pork loin. Wohlner’s own butchers cure and fully cook the pork loin in our own smokehouse to artisanally transform it into Canadian Bacon.
Using Canadian Bacon in a BLT saves approximately 19 grams of fat (4 grams fat versus 23 grams fat for cooked regular bacon) (source: Livestrong.com). To make your BLT even lower fat we suggest you use Kraft Miracle Whip which will reduce fat grams by about 13 grams (7 grams of fat for 2 Tbls of Miracle Whip vs 20 grams of fat per 2 TBLS of mayo.) (source: jar labels) The total fat reduction is approximately 32 grams, and at 9 calories per gram of fat you reduced calories by 288 calories.
Enjoy and hope I see you at some of many events around Wohlner’s, or even better, to see you in our store.