Reese’s Pieces Rice Crispy Treats
Here is an easy and quick to make treat that won’t melt on a warm summer jazz night. The only cooking involved is to melt some butter and marshmallows on stove top for a few short minutes(or microwave it), and no baking whatsoever!
Normally these are pressed into a pan and cut into squares, but for something uniquely cool why not press them into a muffin pan to shape them like cupcakes.
- 3 tablespoons Sweet(salted) Butter
- 1 Package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows OR 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cup (depending on how candy-flavored you want them) Reese's pieces candy
- Melt butter in large saucepan over LOW heat.
- Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove saucepan from heat.
- Slowly add in Rice Krispies cereal 2 cups at a time and stir until well coated.
- After first 4 cups of cereal, stir in the Reese's pieces candy
- Add final 2 cups of cereal.
- Using a buttered spatula or spoon, spread into a 13x9x2-inch pan or casserole dish that has been coated with butter or cooking spray.
- Cut into 2-inch squares when cool. Makes approximately 24 squares.
Rice Crispy Treat “Cupcakes” with Cocoa Crispy Treat “Frosting”
If you do choose to press your rice crispy treats (recipe above) into a well buttered muffin tin to shape like “cupcakes”, why not make a small batch of Cocoa Puff Crispy Treats (butter, cocoa powder, Cocoa Crispies) and use that as “chocolate frosting” for the Reese’s’ Pieces Rice crispy Treats cupcakes. In that case save some of the Reese’s Pieces to decorate these.
- Cocoa Crispy Treat Frosting
- 1.5 tablespoons butter
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder (optional)
- 2 cups miniature mallows
- Optional—some chocolate chips to intensify the color and flavor (1/4 cup?)
- Place butter and marshmallows (and optional chocolate chips) in a microwaveable glass bowl and microwave on high for 2 minutes, stir, cook for 1 minute remove and stir again.
- Butter you hands well and press some of this “frosting” onto the Rice Crispy Treat “cupcakes’. You should have plenty of the frosting left over for as its own treat---lucky you.
Watermelon Rice Crispy Treat with Seeds
Perfect for summer and you’re treat will be talk of any party or event.
If you’re crafty enough to attempt to make these (it’s easy), then you’re crafty enough to Google a recipe (that’s easy, too.) Use raisins or chocolate chips as watermelon seeds.
Summertime menu ideas
- Grilled Porterhouse or T-Bone Steaks with Rosemary Shallot Butter
- Grilled Skewers of Baby Bella (Cremini) Mushrooms
- Grilled Sweet Corn with Parsley Butter
- Caprese Salad Skewers with Fresh Mozzarella, Grape Tomatoes, Fresh Basil (drizzle with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and sea salt and fresh black pepper.)
- Grilled Mango Slices drizzled with Balsamic Reduction and Whipped Cream
- Wine Pairing: Chianti or Barbera d’Asti or a nice Rhone
Southwestern Grill Night
- Wohlner’s Baby Hoots Salsa, Guacamole, and Chips with Tecate Beer
- Chipotle Gouda Cheese Burgers on the Grill
- Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges with Cilantro and Chile Lime Salt
- Black Bean and Grilled Corn (cut from cob) tossed in Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
- Grilled Grape Tomatoes on Skewers
- Vanilla Ice Cream with diced Mango and Red Raspberries drizzled with sweetened
- Coconut Cream and a squeeze of fresh lime.
Roasted Whole Chicken with Wohlner’s Sage Butter
(You’ll find out own Sage Butter in the Grab N’ Go Island case)
Separate the skin from the breast meat with your and then hand rub the sage butter between the meat and skin. Next rub the outside of the chicken with sage butter. Season with slat and pepper and roast in the oven at 425f (if it starts to smoke in the oven carefully add a little water to the bottom of the roasting pan. It’s done when the thigh reaches an internal temperature of 175f and the breast 160f. Remove from the oven and allow the chicken to rest for 10-15 minutes before carving and serving. Spoon some of the delicious drippings and sage butter from over the carved chicken.
(If your charcoal grill has a rotisserie that would be a wonderful method to cook this chicken. Makes my mouth water thinking of it!)
Crusty Wohlner’s Sourdough Bread, and with Romaine Salad with Red Raspberries sliced Strawberries, Grape Tomatoes, Green Onions, Candied Pecans or Walnuts, and Raspberry Vinaigrette
Wine Pairing: Rhone, Merlot, or slightly chilled Louis Jadot Beaujolais, or chilled French Chenin Blanc or a Chardonnay (did I suggest Chardonnay, really?)
Butterflied Whole Chicken Grilled and Basted with BBQ sauce
There is something very special about grilled chicken which is basted a few times with BBQ sauce towards the end of cooking. This was a frequent summer Sunday meal growing up on Jones Street a couple blocks from the old Leavenworth store.
Ask any Wohlner’s butcher to butterfly a whole chicken for you. They cut down the backbone and crack the breast bone so the chicken lays flat on the grill (this is also called spatchcocking). The whole chicken will grill faster and stay juicy. It looks cool too, so you’ll earn style points from your guests. As the chicken nears being fully cooked, use a BBQ brush to baste with your favorite BBQ sauce. Don’t baste too early since the sugars in the BBQ sauce may burn.
Tip: If the BBQ sauce does start to get too dark (starts to burn), no problem, just brush on another coat of BBQ sauce. The subsequent layers of sauce protect the earlier layers from burning.
Grilled Canadian Salmon on a bed of Lettuce Salad Greens (Dole) with Balsamic Mustard Vinaigrette
Dress the greens with the vinaigrette and plate, place a piece of grilled Canadian Salmon on top of the greens, and drizzle a little vinaigrette over each piece of fish. Some snipped fresh chives are always a pretty and flavorful finishing touch on Salmon.
Wine Pairing: Salmon
Tip: Don’t’ over cooked salmon as it will both get dry and lose flavor.
Ideas of items to take to Jazz on the Green
Ideas of items to take to Jazz on the Green, to Saturday night’s concert at Aksarben Village, to a pool party, patio party, picnic, etc.
Most of our suggestions are on sale this week at Wohlner’s.
- Smoked Salmon Salad from Wohlner’s Deli Cold Case
- Grilled Chicken Salad from Wohlner’s Deli Cold Case
- Homemade Chicken Salad from our Grab N’ Go Island, spread on sliced Wohlner’s Baguette or crackers.
- Chipotle Gouda (wow, that sounds new and interesting)
- Caprese Salad Skewers with fresh mozzarella, fresh basil leaves, and grape tomatoes sprinkled with sea salt and black pepper
- Rice Crispy Treats with Reese’s Pieces (Recipe above)
- Crunch and Munch, buttery toffee popcorn and nuts
- Frozen Grapes, red seedless, and drop them in your wine
- White: The Crossings Sauvignon Blanc
- Red: House Red
- Beer: A black ale